Dienstag, 18. August 2015

Ithaca

One week USA!
Here I am, sitting on my hostfamily's couch.

During the past few days, so many things happened! I don't know where I am supposed to begin.

So I arrived here last Thursday at 11pm. My hostdad picked me up from the bus station and brought me home. My hostmom was still awake to welcome me and they were soo nice but I was just tired and only wanted to go to bed. 

The next day, they let me sleep in. 
I was so excited to see the children for the first time! At the beginning, both were a bit shy, but it gets better from day to day. Sometimes it feels like I'm already here for ages, but it's only 4 days!

Saturday we got some stuff for my room which was mostly empty because my family moved in this house like 3 weeks ago. My room also gets better from day to day. I put some photos on the wall, I have a bed (the first night I slept on an air mattress) and I finally had time to unpack my stuff.
Here in Ithaca, there are what feels like a thousand waterfalls. So we were also at one of these, because it's so HOT right now. My room is under the roof, so sometimes it feels like hell in here. I'm so glad that I have air conditioning here.

Saturday we ran around in town all day. We were also in Collegetown, which is like a part of the city and where the college is! You didn't see that coming, huh? It's so beautiful up there! You can see the Cayuga Lake which is one of the Finger Lakes and it's really cool. We also visited a museum, but we went there mostly for the view. Oh and we ate ice cream at a pharmacy. We had small scoops, but they were huge! I wasn't able to eat up mine.

Yesterday I went shopping! All alone :p
I was at Urban Outfitters which is basically the only cool store here - wait, there are a few more - but this is the only "brand" store I found here so far. And as I stood in the store, I noticed that I forgot to look up the American sizes. So I just took my normal German size which was good, but the sizes for the pants are different and I'm still not sure which one I have.
In the afternoon, we went to the Cayuga lake. We met our neighbors there who are really nice people and there was even a girl my age. It was good to talk with her.
Before going home, we went grocery shopping at Wegman's. OhMyGod. That thing is huge. Even bigger than the small ice cream scoop! I got some sweets. And Nutella. I'm curious if it tastes like in Germany.
got a mug!


Today was my first real day of work.

It was good, I guess. I went with the kids to the playground and I even found it all alone!
pizza for lunch
Then the little boy had to take his nap so I brought the girl home and went for a walk with the boy. The walk took two hours. I was so exhausted! It was still so hot today. Ugh.
In the afternoon, we played with their toys that arrived today.
This evening, the grandparents came here and they'll stay for a few days. They're also so nice! The grandpa asked me if I'm really German because he didn't hear my accent. I was so happy when he said that! Although I have to admit that we only spoke a few words at that time.

Homesickness is an issue that I have to deal with.
Every morning it's the worst actually. Over the day it gets better. I hate the time difference!

Keeping you updated,
Christin xo


much  nature




much wow



1 Kommentar:

  1. Dear Chris, I'm glad to hear you're having fun! It's weird that we suddenly have time differences xd good luck with your homesickness sweetie. Love, Merel

    AntwortenLöschen